The following three paintings I’ve worked on in the greenhouse since December. There is photo documentation of the steps I’ve taken with each along the way, however, I’ve elected to only post scans of each of the three paintings here at this time.
The paintings are re-worked from a series of paintings I made in fall 2013. They are 8 inch x 10 inch, inexpensive pre-stretched canvases. The original paintings were done in acrylic and oil and acrylic based paint markers. The subject of the series was my recent experience with complex seizures and diagnosis of epilepsy. They were quick paintings in which I was trying to work through my feelings, and they are quite a mess.
This fall I decided I would begin re-working the canvases, using papers collaged to the surface and a texture created by the acrylic medium I painted on to provide somewhat of a seal so that the oil based paint markers did not run or bleed to much when I began working over the painting in oil. The original paintings are incredibly, almost garishly, colorful. So I decided to counter this I would use only zinc and titanium white, and mars black and asphaltum. The papers I chose to use where drafts and misprints of diagrams I was working on as I tried to put the ideas I worked through in writing into a visual form.
The painting process was slow, but only because I did not focus my attention to these canvases. They hung on the backside of my studio ‘wall’ so I rarely looked at them. Only now and again would they catch my eye when I happened to go behind the wall to pick out another painting I was working on, and then I might add a bit more white or a bit more black.
The next step is to begin another three.